£45.00 Per Person 17/07/2021
Share this Event
The earliest record of Armley Mills dates from the middle of the sixteenth century when local clothier Richard Booth leased ‘Armley Millnes’ from Henry Saville. A document of 1707 describes them as fulling mills. One contained two wheels and four fulling stocks, while another was used to grind corn mill and two fulling stocks’. The mills expanded and by 1788 were equipped with five waterwheels driving eighteen fulling stocks. Fulling was a necessary but dirty process where woven wool is felted. The bundles of cloth are hit repeatedly by large hammers, the fulling stocks, while soaked in water, urine and a clay known as Fuller’s earth. The urine which is a source of ammonia was collected from neighbouring houses, who specially saved it for the purpose.
Children as young as 6 years old worked the mills with very limited rest, food or drink, the children would become ill and on occasions were found dead around the mill from exhaustion, malnutrition or untreated illnesses
many reports of paranormal activity and full bodied apparitions have been witnessed
Dare you enter!!