National Emergency Services Museum - Sheffield, South Yorkshire
Will you hear the ghostly voices on the upper floors or will it be Cain you encounter in the cells!

Sorry, we do not have any events for this location at the moment. Please keep an eye on our website for future dates. 

The Old Fire and Police station in Sheffield has a long history of paranormal activity, making this haunted location an impressive building to investigate. Originally opened in the early 1900s as one of the first purpose-built Fire Stations, it later became a Police Station, equipped with its own cells and telephone exchange.

Dating back to Victorian times the building was a shared fire and police station and now houses vehicles used by the Emergency Services from bygone times, ghost hunters here have experienced some terrifying Poltergeist activity which is more common in the cell area as are unexplained shadows, cold spots and extreme temperature drops. The Cellars and Cells were also used as air raid shelters during WWII as a safe haven during the blitz, in other areas of the building raised voices have been heard coming from empty rooms still calling out into the darkness.

The National Emergency Services Fire and Police Museum has so many reported ghosts which include a young pick pocket in the fire station, in the police station and cells an angry spirit has been encountered on numerous occasions in particularly women who enter the end cell. One of the most famous spirits that is in the Fire & Police Museum is a man called Cain. Despite the fact that he likes to make himself known, he also has an angry side too. He has been known to throw items, especially when people enter the cell which he was once in while he was alive.

Who will you make contact with on your ghost hunt?

National Emergency Services Museum

Spirits of The Emergency Services Museum.

But he is quick to anger and become violent, particularly if people dare to enter his cell, and has been known to send glasses flying in fits of rage, and even attack visitors by hurling whatever objects he can get his ghostly hands on.

The building, in West Bar, now known as the National Emergency Services Museum was formally a combined police and fire station which dates from the 1900's and is said to be awash with mysterious shadow figures, strange moving objects and loud angry voices coming from empty rooms within the building.
Visitors have regularly reported cold spots and extreme drops in temperature whilst inside the upper floors of the building, whilst the spirit of a young pickpocket is said to haunt the corridors looking to take anything shiny from unsuspecting pockets.

In the police station cells an angry spirit has been encountered on numerous occasions and is a man called Cain, he does not like anyone to enter his cell especially women, according to the spirit he was a prisoner in the cells for much of his life while the building was still a serving police station.
He has a bad temper and can become violent very quickly, particularly if people dare to enter his cell, has been known to send glasses flying off tables in fits of rage, and even attack visitors by hurling whatever objects he can get his ghostly hands on.

History of The Emergency Services Museum

Sheffield has been the home of emergency services-related museums and collections since the original Sheffield Fire Museum in 1931. The original museum was the idea of Superintendent Tom Breaks and was located at the Fire Station then known as Rockingham Street Station. Some of the items from the original museum, along with the personal collection of Tom Breaks can still be seen in the museum today. In the late 1970s firefighters from South Yorkshire Fire Service started to add to and reorganise the collection that had been on display across many fire stations to reopen a Fire Service Museum here in Sheffield.

West Bar Station, completed in 1900 and designed by architect Joseph Norton, was built in an era concerned with both form and function. As a creation of the Chief Constable of Sheffield, John Jackson, and the Chief Fire Officer Superintendent William Frost, the station featured lots of cutting-edge technology such as the iconic pole drop; originally an American concept, the ‘Hales Swinging’ system and electric bells.

It was John Jackson who saw a need for one of the first combined fire, police and ambulance stations. This shared station had a layout which allocated the police the left side of the ground floor. This included four cells, 12 stables, an office, an interview room, the inspector’s office and an enquiries desk. This area is now the museum’s reception. The building itself saw service through both World Wars and survived the Sheffield Blitz; however, fragments of shrapnel and scars can still be found in the front brickwork of the building.

In the cobbled area of the building was West Bar’s ambulance, listed as ‘ambulance number two’. This would have been operated by the firefighters along with mortuary vehicles.

What Our Customers Say About Our Ghost Hunts

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Be the first to know about all our latest Special Offers, promotions and exclusive subscriber-only discounts!